get_iplayer Forums blog
NOTICES | ANNOUNCEMENTS | UPDATES
I'm sorry, I broke muscle memory!
categories: [ Maintenance ]
It's been about a year and a half since I threw this site together over a weekend. After all this time, some changes were needed. I know everyone hates change, particularly that which breaks muscle memory, but there were certain layout issues that needed to be addressed here on squarepenguin.co.uk.
- Firstly, the size of the header and footer 'wrappers' with that enormous menu, horrible logo and massive amounts of whitespace.
- Secondly, the proliferation of list style menus which are terrible for mobile users (who make up a statistically significant portion of traffic now).
- Thirdly, layout improvements to make knowing where you are in the site and information retrieval easier for new visitors and faster for frequent fliers.
As a result of all that the following has been changed:
- Site wide text size changes to improve consistency and make location finding easier
- Smaller navigation menu optimises use of space for desktop and mobile users
- List menus replaced with 'list icon' menus to improve desktop and mobile use
- Content link reorganisation to make finding popular/important pages faster for new visitors
- Better integration with Wiki to reduce duplication of information
- Some colour/design tweaks to make things look a bit sharper/more pleasing
I know some of you will be frustrated with the changes, give it a couple of hours and I hope you'll find things work out.
As always, if you find something broken, not working or feel strongly enough to share an opinion then please drop me a comment or use the contact form link found in the footer to send me a message.