These forums are archived

See this post for further info

get_iplayer forums

Forum archived. Posting disabled.

Per documentation, use --subs-mono for monochrome subtitles

user-1906

As my hearing has deteriorated over the years I've started to use subtitles more often. But now, GiP seems to be adding extra information which I don't recall seeing before.

An example is this :-
00:00:03,280 --> 00:00:05,640
<font color="#ffffff">In this special edition</font>
<font color="#ffffff">of Front Row Late,</font>

Should the .srt file have these HTML commands in it and did it always do so?

If it helps, I'm trying to watch the programmes on a Humax machine.

Should I use a different command to add subtitles, embed them perhaps or will simply move the problems elsewhere?

Any help appreciated.

user-622

I don't know if it's always been so, but both vlc and kodi use those tags to show the subtitles in colour.
Edit: oh, and, AFAIK, it's not get_iplayer that adds the tags, they come straight from the bbc.

user-1906

The Humax machine I referred to is a Humax Fox machine with custom firmware so just in case that was having an influence I fired up my Humax HDR100S satellite machine. That says there's no subtitle data for the Mary Beard programme!

Ok, I'll try something else. I fired up my Raspberry Pi running OSMC and that displays subtitles just fine as I can't see a way to turn them off! Time to RTFM methinks. So as you suggested, things like VLC and Kodi do work 'as is' so I can close this now.

I'll mark the thread as solved.

user-1743

Yes, the colours come from the BBC. If they are causing problems for your playback, you can ask get_iplayer to remove the colour tags using the
Code:
--subs-mono
option, see:

https://github.com/get-iplayer/get_iplay...es#colours

Note that if you embed the subtitles, they will automatically be converted to mono (both the embedded and external srt files).

user-1906

It wasn't the colours that were a problem, simply that the HTML tags were being displayed on the Humax Fox machine. As I mentioned though, OSMC on a Pi displays them fine.

I had looked at the page to which you refer but hadn't really taken note of the colour disappearing when embedded. If have the time one day, I might have a go at experimenting with embedding subtitles and try to persuade them to be in colour. But that is for another day.

Thanks for your reply.

These forums are archived

See this post for further info